Re: compat-openssl11 vs openssl1.1

On Tue, 2020-09-15 at 13:46 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:36 PM Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-09-15 at 19:26 +0200, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> > > I've submitted a new compat-openssl11 package for review but it was
> > > pointed out to me that according to the new format of the naming for
> > > compat packages it should be named openssl1.1. However there already
> > > is
> > > a compat-openssl10 package.
> > >
> > > What is more important? Consistency between those two compat packages
> > > or strictly following the naming rules for the new package?
> > >

> > My 2 cents would be consistency. If others disagree, perhaps compat-
> > openssl10 should be renamed to compat-openssl1.0 and obsolete the old
> > compat-openssl10? Its annoying to try to find the magic name something
> > has based on something else... python-foo vs Foo-python etc.
>
> The compat- prefix is no longer allowed. Instead we should be using
> versioned package names.

Why?
The "compat-" prefix clearly indicated the .so was provided exclusively
for backward binary compatibility and shouldn't be relied upon in other
packages.

A bare name conveys nothing and risk introducing dependencies later
instead of slowly draining out dependencies until it can be removed
again.

> So if we're changing the old one, it'll become openssl1.0 to comply
> with current guidelines.

I think having a package named openssl1.0 or openssl1.1 would lead to
more confusion, not less.

Simo.

> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team
Red Hat, Inc