Re: The Future of the Java Stack (also regarding ELN and RHEL)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 02:35:13PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 01:50:55PM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
>
> > 4.  The benefit we want to preserve from modules is to maintain packages
> > with varying expectation of quality, specifically separating the
> > build-time-only vs runtime dependencies.  e.g. in that case that a web
> > server like Eclipse Jetty is required as a dep for testing another
> > component during the build, we want to be able to use and build that
> > component, without being indefinitely on the hook for security errata.
> > (The build dependency tree is particularly complex for Maven and
> > involves many examples of packages with frequent and high severity
> > vulnerabilies)
>
> What are you doing different in terms of supporting deps in the module
> that reduces the security errata burden, compared to non-modular builds ?
>
> It feels like if we have some policy that is creating unsustainable
> maint burden wrt non-modular packaging, we should re-examine this
> policy rather than trying to workaround it by going modular, which
> creates a different kind of maint burden.

In non-modular Fedora all packages that we have in Fedora build system (Koji)
are tagged into Fedora repositories and made available to all users on their
computers for any purpose. That implies that all packages in Fedora build system
must be fully supported including addressing all security issues.

In modular Fedora that's (effectively) not true. Packages that only exist
for the sake of building other packages (i.e. build-only dependencies) can be
retained in the Fedora build system and never left it. That means those
packages are never made available to Fedora users and thus a service level for
them is significantly lower. E.g. no security fixes, not bug fixes, no
integration, not tests, no API/ABI stability. The only requirement is that
they can be built and used for building other packages.

I wrote that it was not effectively true. There is probably no such policy
that would de jure allowed lowering the service level for the build-only
packages. But at the same time there is nobody who could enforce it. Users do
not have the packages, security team does know about them, they cannot break
a compose, and they do not intefere with packages from other modules. The only
place where they are visible is dist-git and Koji. Thus they only need to pass
a review (a legal requirement).

-- Petr