Re: Fixing an uninstallable package

On 01. 09. 20 23:32, Tony Asleson wrote:
On 9/1/20 12:29 PM, Tony Asleson wrote:
On 9/1/20 12:10 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 01. 09. 20 15:39, Tony Asleson wrote:
A few weeks ago the package pywbem was updated to latest  upstream
release and exists in rawhide repo.

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-1f878bb809

The package fails to install because of newly added dependencies that
were introduced upstream.

So previous working package was

python3-pywbem-0.14.6-4.fc34.noarch

failing to install and wouldn't work if it did

python3-pywbem-1.0.1-1.fc34.noarch.rpm

  From looking at docs it would appear that utilizing epoch is the answer
and I have that ready to go, ref.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/pywbem/pull-request/5 .

My question is would it be acceptable to remove the broken package from
koji and bump and rebuild the previous working version as no one was
able to install it anyway?

We cannot remove the package from Koji, but yes -- when you do a new
build with higher release than the latest installbale package, you don't
need to bump (introduce) the epoch.

OK, I'll strip the epoch and give it a try.

I tried this and it's not looking good at the moment.  The automated
tests are reporting some failures which I believe indicate versioning is
a problem.

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-afae078032

Maybe I'm not understanding your response correctly, but I'm still
thinking I need to introduce epoch into the spec file to get dnf and
other tools to figure the versioning out.

I believe you don't. The tests do a static analysis and they are correct, but if it was indeed impossible to ever install python3-pywbem-1.0.1-1.fc33, than you don't have to worry about it, because in reality, it won't ever be a problem.

Just make sure to do it before Fedora 33 Final freeze, so the uninstallable but higher version doesn't end up in the "fedora" repo forever.

--
Miro Hrončok