Re: Fixing an uninstallable package

On 9/1/20 12:29 PM, Tony Asleson wrote:
> On 9/1/20 12:10 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
>> On 01. 09. 20 15:39, Tony Asleson wrote:
>>> A few weeks ago the package pywbem was updated to latest  upstream
>>> release and exists in rawhide repo.
>>>
>>> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-1f878bb809
>>>
>>> The package fails to install because of newly added dependencies that
>>> were introduced upstream.
>>>
>>> So previous working package was
>>>
>>> python3-pywbem-0.14.6-4.fc34.noarch
>>>

>>> failing to install and wouldn't work if it did
>>>
>>> python3-pywbem-1.0.1-1.fc34.noarch.rpm
>>>

>>>  From looking at docs it would appear that utilizing epoch is the answer
>>> and I have that ready to go, ref.
>>>
>>> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/pywbem/pull-request/5 .
>>>
>>> My question is would it be acceptable to remove the broken package from
>>> koji and bump and rebuild the previous working version as no one was
>>> able to install it anyway?
>>
>> We cannot remove the package from Koji, but yes -- when you do a new
>> build with higher release than the latest installbale package, you don't
>> need to bump (introduce) the epoch.
>
> OK, I'll strip the epoch and give it a try.

I tried this and it's not looking good at the moment.  The automated
tests are reporting some failures which I believe indicate versioning is
a problem.

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-afae078032

Maybe I'm not understanding your response correctly, but I'm still
thinking I need to introduce epoch into the spec file to get dnf and
other tools to figure the versioning out.

-Tony