Re: Suspicious downgrades when upgrading from F32 to F33: containers-common, fuse-overlayfs, strace, thunderbird

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:13 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:32 PM Daniel Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/24/20 07:00, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > The following packages are downgrades when I attempt upgrade from
> > > Fedora 32 to Fedora 33:
> > >
> > > - containers-common (skopeo) 1:1.1.1 -> 1:1.0.1
> > > - fuse-overlayfs 1.1.2 -> 1.1.0
> > > - strace 5.8 -> 5.7.0.6.7ab6
> > > - thunderbird 668.11.0 -> 8.10.0
> > >
> > > Is this expected?
> > >
> > Definitely not on the first two.  I have asked the maintainers to look
> > into it.  Looks like packages in rawhide are failing to build.
>
> The container stack never seems to be dealt with well in the branching
> stage of the release, this isn't the first time I've noticed that,
> could it be added to a process or similar to ensure it's smooth, not
> sure we want individual commit related builds once we've branched and
> headed for beta.
>
> Peter

Do you think it would be a good idea to file bugs for those packages
where a build for f33 was "forgotten"?
Since I already have the "downgrade check" scripted [0] it's a simple task of:

- check if the package has attempted build for f33
- if yes, check if it's FTBFS, and don't report a bug
- if no build was attempted for f33, report a bug

I see ~100 downgraded *binary* packages going from fully updated f32
to fully updated f33.
The number of affected *source* packages is naturally lower than that.
The script also doesn't account for packages being renamed (but in
those cases, proper Obsoletes and Provides need to be present during
package review, so I don't think this is a problem).

Fabio

[0]: https://gist.github.com/decathorpe/9b8bf35404c11b4ebf73d06ff303bc88