Re: Media key support in F32 / Gnome / systemd

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 2:57 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/8/20 11:30 AM, Christopher wrote:
> > Thanks for the sanity check and for setting me on the right path. This
> > isn't a great user experience, but at least it is *possible* to
> > configure things the way I want.
>
> Well, for most users, it's a great experience because the keys do what
> they say they do.  I'm very happy that my suspend key works. :-)  And I
> don't expect to be able to easily map any random key on my keyboard to
> something else.

That's a fair point. However, this keyboard specifically markets
itself as having the ability to modify the behavior of the keys, so
purchasers of this keyboard *should* expect to be able to easily map
the media keys to something else. I think this is a mainstream
expectation nowadays for standard media keys. And, a quick search
online of this problem will find many people frustrated by the
placement of this key nearby other keys (it sits between the email and
calculator keys), and desire to re-map it to avoid accidentally
shutting down their computer when all they want to do is open their
email (with numerous outdated answers about how to do it in previous
versions of Gnome that don't work anymore).

I will modify my previous statement about not being a great experience
to this longer observation: the *initial* experience (until I learned
more about Gnome configuration and the implications) was *slightly*
less than great *if* you don't like the default behavior. The initial
experience could be improved dramatically if the previous bindings
were automatically removed when a new binding is set in
gnome-control-center keyboard shortcuts. Also, it would be nice if all
available bindings were shown in the GUI, instead of some only
available hidden in dconf-settings/gsettings. It would also be great
if I could search by value in dconf-editor to be able to find all
mappings of XF86Sleep or another button when I don't know the
configuration key name. Feature-wise, the fact that everything works
as labeled out of the box, and the fact that you can make changes, is
great. Usability-wise, there's room for some improvement. Overall,
it's still great, even though it could be better.

Thanks again,
Christopher