Re: Media key support in F32 / Gnome / systemd

Hi,

On Sat, 2020-08-08 at 14:30 -0400, Christopher wrote:
> 1. There is no GUI to change the setting.
> 2. The logind.conf settings have no effect on the media keys.
> 3. The key is XF86Sleep (and not XF86Suspend).
> 4. The key is assigned to the 'suspend-static' behavior in
> dconf-editor / gsettings
> 5. Changing the assignment in dconf-editor / gsettings requires
> logging out and back in to take effect

That is odd, the setting should really be instant apply. Could you
report an upstream bug against gnome-settings-daemon if you are able to
reproduce it?

Though, maybe this was just the confusion that the key needs to be
explicitly removed?

> And most importantly,
> 6. It is *not* enough to assign the XF86Sleep button to another action
> in the keyboard shortcuts. You have to *also* remove it from the
> 'suspend-static' action, or it will suspend the computer instead of
> performing the other assigned action.

The program changing the configuration needs to ensure there are no
collisions. If you have collisions, then it is currently undefined
which action is executed.

So, the user can do that, but it is somewhat dangerous unfortunately.

> This last bit was the part that was the most frustrating, since
> everything else I did had no effect. Now that I have unassociated
> 'XF86Sleep' from the 'suspend-static' action, I can now re-assign it
> to do other things.

Yeah, I see how it might be unexpected, but I think the expectation to
have a clean configuration is reasonable.

> Thanks for the sanity check and for setting me on the right path. This
> isn't a great user experience, but at least it is *possible* to
> configure things the way I want.

Possible, yes. I don't really consider it to be "supported" though.
Still better than simply hard-coding them in C :)

Note that you can also change the power button action in gnome-control-
center, power, "Suspend & Power Button", "Power Button Action".

Benjamin