Re: LTO vs LD_PRELOAD (libvirt FTBFS test suite failure)

On Tue, 2020-08-04 at 13:16 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 12:02:05PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Daniel P. Berrangé:
> >
> > > Taken from https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=48525923
> >
> > Sorry, what would be more interesting is the linker invocation.  The
> > build log does not show this, only the libtool invocation.  We don't
> > really know what kind of transformations libtool does in this case.
>
> Upstream libvirt has just yesterday replaced use of autotools with
> meson. I just tried a Fedora rawhide build of our new meson based
> code and it succeeded with LTO.
>
> Given this, I think I'm fine just disabling LTO in rawhide for the
> current libvirt release, with the expectation we'll re-enable LTO
> in ~1 month time when we import the meson based release of libvirt.
>
> IOW lets not waste any more time debugging this LTO / LD_PRELOAD
> problem with libvirt.
That works for me.  If you haven't already committed the change, please make a
quite note about the planned move to meson and reenablement of LTO at that point
so I don't dig any further when I review all the opted-out packages.  I'm likely
to forget the decision by the time I'm reviewing the opt-outs.

> > libtool is really not built for LTO, and it really should not be used on
> > GNU systems.  But I understand that this is not uncontroversial.
> There's oooh so many problems with libtool we've hit over the years,
> especially with it re-arranging order of compiler/linker flags, and
> so I'm beyond ecstatic that we've finally thrown it away for libvirt
> in favour of meson.
>
> There may have been a time & place for libtool and autotools in
> general, but that time has passed....
Yea, I find libtool amazingly painful and the primary motivation for it has long
since become a minor issue rather than major one (seriously who cares about
dynamic linking on hpux, sco, irix, etc) anymore.  But killing it I'm sure will
be difficult.

jeff