Re: Dropping elfutils-libelf-devel-static and elfutils-devel-static subpackages

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 4:56 PM Mark Wielaard <mjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2020-07-23 at 09:59 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 1:25 AM Mark Wielaard <mjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > I committed the removal of the two static subpackages and added an
> > > Obsoletes: elfutils-devel-static%{depsuffix} < 0.180-5 to elfutils-
> > > devel and an Obsoletes: elfutils-libelf-devel-static%{depsuffix} <
> > > 0.180-5 to elfutils-devel.
> > >
> > > But I haven't done a build yet to give people a chance to yell and
> > > scream this is the wrong way to do it. If nobody complains I'll do
> > > a build of elfutils-0.180-5 for rawhide on Friday.
> >
> > The subpackage removal and addition of appropriate Obsoletes tags
> > looks correct to me.
>
> Thanks. I had to make one small adjustment, rpmbuild in rawhide doesn't
> accept the depsuffix on an Obsoletes. It is unnecessary anyway (it is
> required on the Requires, because the libraries are multilib).
>
> I have now build elfutils-0.180-5 which drops the -static packages in
> rawhide. This should only affect the kexec-tools (the maintainers are
> aware of the BuildRequires change necessary). But if there is any other
> fallout please yell and scream.
>
> BTW. Can Obsoletes ever be removed? We have an Obsoletes: libelf <=
> 0.8.2-2 on elfutils-libelf since the original cvsdist import of 2004
> because there used to be a different libelf implementation (with a dead
> upstream these days). Can I remove that? Or is it better to keep it
> "just in case"?

Obsoletes for removed / renamed packages can usually be safely removed
after two stable fedora releases had them.
So, in this case, the Obsoletes should be in place for fedora 33 and
fedora 34, and you can remove them after f34 is branched off from
rawhide (so it takes effect for f35+).
(This is because only upgrades from fedora N to N+1 and N+2 are
supported at any point in time, so anyone who keeps their system
around will hit either f34 or f35 if they stick to the supported
upgrade path, and have those obsoleted packages removed if they have
them installed for some reason.)

Fabio