Dropping elfutils-libelf-devel-static and elfutils-devel-static subpackages

Hi,

I would like to drop the elfutils-libelf-devel-static and elfutils-
devel-static subpackages which provide static libraries for libelf and
libdw/libasm. They seem to have been provided a long time ago for some
core binaries, like rpm, to provide static binaries. But it looks like
nothing is using this mechanism anymore today. The static libdw library
probably never really worked correctly till 0.180 (released just a few
weeks ago), because it depended on dynamically open some other non-
static libraries... oops. I don't believe there is any good reason to
not simply link against the normal shared libraries (they have been
binary compatible for years).

Nothing seems to require these packages, but that might be simply be
because they are static libraries, so there aren't any runtime
requirements. Is there some way to determine if anything would start
failing to build if I simply remove them? Apart from simply waiting for
the bug reports to pop up :)

Is there a procedure to follow for dropping these sub-packages, or can
I simply remove them from the spec file?

Thanks,

Mark