Re: Dropping elfutils-libelf-devel-static and elfutils-devel-static subpackages

On 7/21/20 3:12 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>>> Is there a procedure to follow for dropping these sub-packages, or can
>>> I simply remove them from the spec file?
>>
>> Maybe add Obsoletes to the devel subpackages, but not Provides.
>>
>> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#renaming-or-replacing-existing-packages
>
> You mean add an Obsoletes: elfutils-devel-static to the elfutils-devel
> subpackage? Does that really work with packages that are normally build
> requires of other packages?

Yes, that's what I mean, and make sure to version that like the link
describes. AFAIK the Obsoletes alone will just solve the upgrade path,
but you would need Provides to satisfy the build requires. That doesn't
make sense to do in this case, since you're not going to provide static
functionality in the "replacement".