Re: Removing packages from module

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 02:14:49PM -0700, Aleksei Bavshin wrote:
> The real question is how to do the change in f33 considering that f32
> and f33 modules must be built from the same modulemd file.

You wrap a %files section of the package you want to remove with a condition
based on the Fedora version:

%if %{fedora} < 33
%files
%end

This will cause the when building the module component, rpmbuild won't produce
the unwanted binary package on F33, but it will produce it on F32.

The only problem is if that is the only binary package produced by the spec
file. Then rpmbuild would report an error, because it would consider it
a packaging mistake. But it can be worked around by produced a dummy package
instead:

%if %{fedora} < 33
%files
%else
%files -n dummy
%end

and filtering out the dummy package from the module on modulemd level with
/data/filetr/rpms/dummy entry.

> And now I'm curious what would happen if I specify `platform: [-f33]`
> and publish new module build. Would that remove previously published
> metadata from rawhide?

No. Rawhide repository is composed from the latest builds tagged into
a rawhide tag. That means Rawhide would still contain the last module built
from f33 platform.

> I guess the right answer is somewhere around servicelevels and `eol`
> specification.

Theoretically yes. You can file a releng request
<https://pagure.io/releng/new_issue> of moduel_eol type to shorten the EOL.
But I worry that a compose process does not respect the EOL dates and instead
the EOLed modules are removed from a compose configuration by relengs
manually once before branching a new Fedora release (33 is the next one).

-- Petr