Re: Removing packages from module

On 17. 07. 20 6:47, Aleksei Bavshin wrote:
In an optimistic case I'd like to believe that once the package is
removed from the modulemd file and a new module update is published, the
override magic hacked into dnf would stop masking package from
non-modular repository. NEVRA would be the only factor deciding the
update priority and when we push new build of the package into
f32-updates it would update the remaining modular build of the package
with lower EVR.

If the package was part of the module during the release of Fedora 32, dnf will see 2 versions/builds of the module-stream:

 - the one that existed during the release (containing the package)
 - the one from updates (no longer containing the package)

The "original" version will still filter out the non-modular version of the package from any transaction.

And given the way modular filtering works, a package cannot technically be "demodularized" this was during one release, unless you force a module reset from another package's scriptlet.

In a pessimistic case I expect that the package removed from the module
will never be updated by dnf in the same release cycle since the already
installed version originates from the modular repository. Upgrade to f33
would require module reset.

During the update to Fedora 33 a modular reset should happen anyway. But even if it doesn't I believe that the packages would be upgraded to non-modular, assuming their EVR is higher. I might be wrong thou, because the concept of removing packages from modules and making them non-modular is full of booby traps.

--
Miro Hrončok