Re: Removing packages from module

On 7/17/20 1:50 PM, Daniel Mach wrote:

> Dne 17. 07. 20 v 14:15 Aleksei Bavshin napsal(a):

>> Thanks for clarifying this, Miro. So the filter is built based on the
>> module metadata instead of the installed packages. I guess I
>> misunderstood that part.
>>
>> That's just sad. I woke up with the bright idea about removing the
>> packages from modulemd and then adding `sway-module-obsoletes` which
>> Obsoletes everything in the module that's behind f32-updates. We have
>> several packages like this since the last module rebuild.
>>
>> If there's a cached non-updateable module metadata from fedora-modular
>> which is always considered by dnf together with the updated version from
>> fedora-updates-modular, that had no chance of working.
> That's exactly how it works.
> Unlike RPMs where usually the latest version is the result of a
> transaction, module metadata are additive.
> Sum of all versions make a stream and it's content (incl. the old RPM
> versions) so you can eventually downgrade your package if you need to.
> We know about the issue and we want to introduce some de-modularization
> feature, but we need to fix more serious issues first.

>>> The module reset is essential, because otherwise DNF will keep using
>>> fail-safe module data on disk and that would still keep the package
>>> filtered.
>>>
>>> I suggest making the change in F33 / Rawhide.
>>> Rawhide shouldn't break, because there's only one (the latest) version
>>> of each module in the repodata and if you release a new modulemd without
>>> the package, everything should work as expected.
>> Your suggestion implies that there's a way to build different set of
>> packages for different releases within the same module stream, right?
>>
>> Because with what Miro said, we are stuck with the requirement to update
>> every package we have in the module until f32 is EOL. I can't just drop
>> package x from modulemd and say "x won't be ever updated in f32 because
>> modularity" :(
>>
> The F33 change I suggested doesn't retrospectively apply on F32.
> You're really stuck maintaining the package until F32 EOL.

Yes, that's something I already accepted.
The real question is how to do the change in f33 considering that f32
and f33 modules must be built from the same modulemd file. I only see
the ability to disable module stream build for f33.

And now I'm curious what would happen if I specify `platform: [-f33]`
and publish new module build. Would that remove previously published
metadata from rawhide?
I guess the right answer is somewhere around servicelevels and `eol`
specification.

--
With best regards,
Aleksei Bavshin