Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 20:06 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > > So if one has a spare partition to play with btrfs, is there an easy
> > > way to install a second copy of Fedora without having the /boot/efi/
> > > entries overwrite the existing Fedora installation?  Or fix it to have
> > > 2 separate entries after the fact?
> >

> > It's possible but has challenges. Separate ESP's you'll need to either
> > (a) use the firmware's built-in boot manager to choose what will
> > probably appear to be identically named Fedora's
>
> No, you have to rename the first one before doing the second install.
> anaconda explicitly deletes any existing efibootmgr entry named
> "Fedora" before creating a new one.

Any idea if this process is documented?

I typically install on a laptop, with the "encrypt my data" option.

I can confirm that the only way to successfully have 2 side-by-side Fedora installs with UEFI, using only Anaconda to set it up, is to have 2 separate physical disks, and choose which physical disk to boot by hitting F12 at machine power on.

Any attempts to share /boot result in at least one of the installs being broken.

Any attempts to share /boot/efi breaks at least fedora-by-fedora installs.

Adding a separate /boot/efi partition for the second Fedora install makes the resulting system usable on the new Fedora install, but there is no obvious way to boot into the older Fedora install.

If you unlock the disks within Anaconda for the existing Fedora install, grub gets boot entries for that install, but they are non-functional.  (No password is prompted for unlocking the disk, indefinite hang.)

What /does/ seem to work is having RHEL and Fedora side-by-side on the same disk, as long as each has its own /boot and /boot/efi partitions.

Generally, I'd like the fedora-by-fedora parallel installs to work better because that's how I'm best able to participate in the Test Matrix.

V/r,
James Cassell