Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 4:48 PM Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 14:24:37 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 06:54:02AM +0000, Zbigniew J?drzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >> Making btrfs opt-in for F33 and (assuming the result go well) opt-out for F34
> >> could be good option. I know technically it is already opt-in, but it's not
> >> very visible or popular. We could make the btrfs option more prominent and
> >> ask people to pick it if they are ready to handle potential fallout.
> >
> >I'm leaning towards recommending this as well. I feel like we don't have
> >good data to make a decision on -- the work that Red Hat did previously when
> >making a decision was 1) years ago and 2) server-focused, and the Facebook
> >production usage is encouraging but also not the same use case. I'm
> >particularly concerned about metadata corruption fragility as noted in the
> >Usenix paper. (It'd be nice if we could do something about that!)
>
> So if one has a spare partition to play with btrfs, is there an easy
> way to install a second copy of Fedora without having the /boot/efi/
> entries overwrite the existing Fedora installation?  Or fix it to have
> 2 separate entries after the fact?

It's possible but has challenges. Separate ESP's you'll need to either
(a) use the firmware's built-in boot manager to choose what will
probably appear to be identically named Fedora's (b) add new NVRAM
entries, and names, and switch between them before reboot by using
efibootmgr --bootorder or --bootnext.

Another option is shared ESP and /boot but my vague recollection is
some things go away. For sure /boot/efi/EFI/fedora is replaced, and
then possibly /boot/loader/entries are replaced. But that might be
easier to deal with than the above, and more efficient.

--
Chris Murphy