Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Friday, July 3, 2020 9:40:34 PM MST Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 4:32 PM John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> > These "qualifiers" are important.
> >
> > 1) Yes, I did get a response, as I said in the first email. The response
> > showed that there weren't any issues with the kernel or core packages at
> > the
> > time it was dropped.
>
> What you originally said - "I asked for a list of issues that warranted
> ending 32 bit
> support while it still worked, and got nothing"

There was nothing. Every single bug filed against it was in a package outside
of the default sets for every Spin, including the GNOME Spin.

> > 2) I never said it was perfect, nothing ever is.
>
> What you originally said - ". When it came down to it, it was dropped while
> 32 bit
> Fedora still worked perfectly."

It does "work perfectly". That's not the same as saying anything is perfect,
it's a phrase for "Everything works". Every package that is installed in every
single spin's default packages works. I confirmed this before I tried to join
the x86 SIG at the last minute, as it seemed to be the only way to keep x86
from getting dropped, but it wasn't enough. I pointed out that the issues
filed against x86 were mostly the same as those filed against ARMv7, and that
still didn't matter. Here we are, with x86 dropped while it still works, while
ARMv7 is still kicking around.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.