Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Thu, 2020-07-02 at 08:24 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 7/2/20 3:16 AM, nickysn@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Note that, even though Microsoft is pushing for UEFI on new systems
> > in
> > the OEM version of Windows, they still support booting in legacy
> > BIOS
> > mode in the latest Windows 10 version and they even support a 32-
> > bit
> > version of Windows 10, which Fedora no longer does
> > I'm by no means a Microsoft fan, but these are facts. Fedora is
> > pushing
> > for hardware obsolescence faster than Microsoft in this regard.:(
>
> I think that as far as 32-bit support is concerned, the issue was
> less
> that Fedora pushed for "hardware obsolescence" and more that no one
> "pushed" for support.  Fedora is a collection of the work of
> volunteers,
> and supporting 32-bit hardware requires more than simply sending
> SRPMs
> through the build pipeline.  Things break, and over time there were
> fewer volunteers willing and able to fix those problems.  The way Im
> remember it, there were plenty of statements to the effect that as
> long
> as someone was willing to do that work, Fedora would continue to
> publish
> a 32-bit release.

Yes, I understand the complexities of the issue and the extra
maintenance work. I was just correcting something I perceived as
misinformation or misunderstanding of what Microsoft supports. They've
only disallowed PC vendors such as HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. from selling
*new* computers with the 32-bit version of Windows preinstalled, but
they continue to support and update the 32-bit version of Windows 10,
even though they've dropped support for Windows 7 and Windows XP.

I, personally, am happy with what Fedora supports - the oldest computer
I still use regularly is a 2004-2006 Socket 939 desktop with an AMD
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual core CPU with 4 GB of DDR1 RAM, a PCI Express
graphics card, a SATA hard drive and 2 floppies - a 3.5-inch and a
5.25-inch (I've added them just for fun, just because the motherboard
has a floppy controller, I don't seriously use them :) ). The x86_64
version of Fedora runs just fine on this computer. And so does the 32-
bit of Windows 10, but the 64-bit version has dropped support for it,
because it doesn't support a single instruction, that was added later
to the AMD64 architecture. Luckily, 64-bit Fedora doesn't require it,
so I'm a happy Fedora user! :)

And yes, I know it's high time that I upgrade, but this is my last
desktop computer (all my newer and more powerful computers have been
laptops), and it's just more convenient to use the desktop, while
sitting on my desk at home. :)

And if I had a 32-bit system still in use, I'd probably have
volunteered to help keep the 32-bit x86 Fedora alive, but since the 64-
bit version works for me, I don't have much incentive to do it. :)

> That doesn't strictly apply to discussions about dropping BIOS boot
> support, but that doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

Yes, these are separate issues and the legacy BIOS support affects much
newer systems. And it is also less work to maintain legacy BIOS
support, compared to an entire 32-bit version of the operating system.

And btw, I generally agree that grub2 is a little overengineered and
difficult to configure and I think it would benefit if it supported
something like a simpler configuration mode. I like how powerful it is,
but I think the main problem is that it exposes too much complexity in
its configuration file.

Best regards,
Nikolay