Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On 2020-06-30 15:34, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

Share your thoughts and comments on how such move might affect you so feedback can be collected for the future on why such a change might be bad, how it might affect the distribution and scope of such change can be determined for potential system wide proposal.
I've never really seen any reason to switch to UEFI since it appeared years ago.
It just looked much more complicated (and buggy at the time), for no reasonable
gain.

I'm currently using BIOS, grub, grub2 basically everywhere, even on fresh new machines,
for the simple reason that grub2 is really flexible; recently with GPT and code-EF02 bios boot partition.
(GPT scheme 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649: "Hah!IdontNeedEFI")

In some cases I have complex setups where grub2 is installed two times, with the first one offering
some entries, including chainloading the second one for additional entries (possibly on a different
drive not always connected and which each operating system having their own grub2 and /boot).
These things are either impossible with UEFI or would require learning everything again.

I've seen lilo, grub and grub2, which has matured for years; we have finally started to understand it
fully, we got the new blscfg thing too, and now... everything reinvented again?
IMHO the firmware (BIOS/UEFI/something) should just be able to run a bootloader, everything else
added is not an advantage.

Regards.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it