Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 8:24:49 AM MST Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 7/2/20 3:16 AM, nickysn@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Note that, even though Microsoft is pushing for UEFI on new systems in
> > the OEM version of Windows, they still support booting in legacy BIOS
> > mode in the latest Windows 10 version and they even support a 32-bit
> > version of Windows 10, which Fedora no longer does
> > I'm by no means a Microsoft fan, but these are facts. Fedora is pushing
> > for hardware obsolescence faster than Microsoft in this regard.:(
>

> I think that as far as 32-bit support is concerned, the issue was less
> that Fedora pushed for "hardware obsolescence" and more that no one
> "pushed" for support.  Fedora is a collection of the work of volunteers,
> and supporting 32-bit hardware requires more than simply sending SRPMs
> through the build pipeline.  Things break, and over time there were
> fewer volunteers willing and able to fix those problems.  The way I
> remember it, there were plenty of statements to the effect that as long
> as someone was willing to do that work, Fedora would continue to publish
> a 32-bit release.
>
> That doesn't strictly apply to discussions about dropping BIOS boot
> support, but that doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

That's not really true. When it came down to it, it was dropped while 32 bit
Fedora still worked perfectly. I'm left with 5 systems that will never be
updated as a result. I asked for a list of issues that warranted ending 32 bit
support while it still worked, and got nothing. Two weeks after the proposal,
the announcement was made, and support was dropped.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.