Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Mi, 01.07.20 13:14, Javier Martinez Canillas (javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is completely fair, it's true that GRUB's blscfg
> module diverged from the spec by adding support for variables but it
> can also parse BLS snippets that follow the spec verbatim.

You missed the point of the whole spec:

the spec was that every party which interfaces with boot loaders knows
where to find and how to deal with boot loader entries, and to make
them as simple that every party can easily parse them and make sense
of them, and share them. This means that many parties can *read* them
without trouble and *drop-in* them without trouble either.

By turning them into a programming language you broke that contract,
because suddenly your files cannot be read without any embedded
tremplating language interpretor. You own your files, but everyone
else cannot make sense of it.

Note that the spec has extension points (i.e. it's permissible to add
new fields without this breaking the spec), but turning it into a
programming lnaguage is waaaay outside of it...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin