Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 11:37 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> My suggestion would be: don't standardize on boot loaders, standardize
> on the boot loader spec. And I mean, the real boot loader spec, i.e

Agreed. In part that's already the case for Fedora, since now besides
GRUB the zipl (s390x) and Petitboot (ppc64le OPAL) bootloaders are
also using BLS snippets to populate their boot menu.

I don't see why one bootloader has to be dropped in favour of the
other, and not just allow users to choose what better fits their
needs.

Just like Anaconda currently provides an extlinux option to use as the
bootloader instead of GRUB for legacy BIOS installs, a sd-boot option
could be added to choose using this bootloader for EFI installs.

That way users who want a simple bootloader can use sd-boot and those
needing features like network boot, LUKS support, etc can choose to
use GRUB instead.

> not this terrible template language that Fedora now supports in Grub,
> which is just the same old grub complexity again. They stole the "Boot

Yes, not storing the kernel command line options in the BLS snippets
and using a GRUB variable was indeed a mistake that caused more harm
than good.

That has been fixed for F33, but there are other reasons why the GRUB
implementation needed variables. For instance to support
authentication and authorization of boot entries:

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Authentication-and-authorisation.html

But we can look at how the spec could be extended to cover that case
and stop using the templating for GRUB altogether to align with the
spec.

> Loader Spec" name and turned it into something that is not related at
> all to the real thing.

I'm not sure if this is completely fair, it's true that GRUB's blscfg
module diverged from the spec by adding support for variables but it
can also parse BLS snippets that follow the spec verbatim.

For example Fedora CoreOS uses it and the BLS snippets created by
OSTree are completely aligned with the spec as far as I can tell.
And since F33 I think that even the BLS snippets created for GRUB
could be parsed by sd-boot (or any other bootloader following the spec
like LinuxBoot)
since the options field doesn't have a variable anymore.

Best regards,
Javier