Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

Le mercredi 01 juillet 2020 à 10:27 -0400, Neal Gompa a écrit :
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:26 AM Nicolas Mailhot via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Le mercredi 01 juillet 2020 à 11:09 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-
> > Szmek
> > a écrit :
> > >
> > > Actually that part has been answered pretty comprehensively. The
> > > split between / and /home is hurting users
> >
> > Actually this split is a godsend because you can convince anaconda
> > leave your home alone when reinstalling, while someone always seems
> > too
> > invent a new Fedora change that justifies the reformatting of /.
> >
> > Good luck dealing with user data the next time workstation (or any
> > other group) feels the / filesystem should change, once you've put
> > user
> > data on the same mount point
> >

> Anaconda does this behavior correctly with btrfs with / and /home as
> separate subvolumes on the same btrfs volume. So the preservation of
> /home would still work, while we get flexible storage allocation at
> the volume level.

That only works as long as btrfs is the next shiny thing, or as long as
no one decides the options Fedora used to create btrfs volumes with are
crap and it’s a good idea to recreate them with new better options.

(btrfs may offer migration to new volume options like ext4 did in the
past, I still would not want anaconda to touch my existing user data
volumes, especially when doing emergency reinstalls because the kernel,
systemd, glibc or any other core component crapped itself).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot