Re: an "old-school *nix defaults" spin [was Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram]

On 29 June 2020 18:44:46 CEST, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 06:30:11PM +0200, Markus Larsson wrote:
>> A spin feels like a commitment that involves gathering what other people
>> feel and need. While I'm cautious about some changes I tend to welcome
>> change in general. I just need to see the benefits and there needs to be
>> reason to expect it to be successful.
>
>That's true, and I'll admit there's a little bit of "show me the money" in
>my stance here. The argument for these changes is based on the desire to
>provide a better experience for an intended audience. But a number of people
>in these threads are putting forth the assertation that there is a
>meaningful number of users (including Fedora contributors) who would
>actually be better served by a different set of defaults.

Well, there are. But the main gripe, for me, is that year for year the defaults keep changing always catering to someone that is not me. Generally not because I'm changing but because things are deemed not welcoming enough.
The Workstation installer is a prime example. I'm not saying it's bad just that I feel that a working tool was taken from me and was replaced by something that satisfies my needs to a much lesser extent.
I too see the need for being welcoming, I just wish it could be less heavy handed.
I also see a bit of arrogance towards new users, that they will break down crying if there things that can be configured (yes hyperbolic but hyperbole is here used to show the pattern, I'm not saying that people are actually arguing that users fall into tears if displayed options).
I think most of these things could be solved in better ways, I don't think the "change request"-route is a good way to get the discussion started though. It tends to become mudslinging matches where those who proposed the changes feel obligated to defend them and others become outraged.

>If there enough people who believe that and want to work on it, it should be
>easy to find a core group of maintainers, go through the Change process to
>propose it, and find an enthusiastic user-base. And I don't mean this in a
>snarky way: it seems reasonable enough to me that there's a sustainable
>level of interest. If there is, great! If there isn't, well, we also learn
>something.

This and the btrfs stuff combined with earlier changes at least got me going on finally setting up an auto deployment solution for my home environment. I just wish I didn't have to.