Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 08:16:29AM -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

> While it may be worth vim making themselves better, it really doesn't
> change the argument.
>
> Even a friendlier vim is still going to be far to strange and
> confusing to somebody just looking to quickly change a setting and get
> on with Fedora.

The argument in the change proposal is that users might not know what is
going on when they run `git commit` and vi instead of nano is opened. It
does not mention "quickly changing a setting". Thinking more about this,
if someone has to use "git commit", they have probably changed
something with a tool. If this is a developer, they are probably using a
graphical IDE or a text editor on the console (or maybe a GUI text
editor). But I guess the IDEs usually have git integration, so the user
would then not use "git commit". If they already use a console editor,
would it be typical that they do not set the EDITOR variable?
And if they are using a graphical Editor, shouldn't maybe that one be
defaulted to in graphical environments?

Thanks
Till