Re: User experience issue on btrfs

On 6/29/20 3:19 AM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Monday, June 29, 2020 1:09:16 AM MST Markus Larsson wrote:
>> On 29 June 2020 08:26:21 CEST, "John M. Harris Jr" <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> I haven't had time to figure out why the RHEL systems I have that are
>>> (mistakenly I assume, though they were created before I was hired) using
>>> XFS  run into that issue, after about a month, they report 100% disk
>>> space utilization on /boot, and I've gotta run xfs_repair in order to fix
>>> that. In the unlikely event that I have the time to figure out why, before
>>> I just re- install them (which is already planned), I'd be happy to follow
>>> up with a citation. :)
>>

>> That is very odd. I haven't seen it once in over a decade in an environment
>> with thousands of machines. Very interesting though, I think I will have
>> to try to replicate this. Is there anything special about them like odd
>> partition layout etc?
>
> I can't confirm at the moment, but I'm pretty sure /boot is a 1GiB (maybe
> 2GiB) XFS partition. I've marked your message as "TODO" in my client, so I can
> get you more info tomorrow if you're interested.

FWIW, I've seen this occasionally on one of my development machines, but figured it
could be related to the fact that this box runs development/testing filesystems all
day long, and I hadn't dug into it yet.  It would have been very helpful if you'd
filed a bug for the issue, so that we knew it had been seen in the wild, and could
raise the priority.

One of my least favorite things, TBH, is people reporting in threads like this that
they've had this or that problem with a filesystem, but they never filed a bug with
developers to get it noticed or fixed.

(If you have filed the bug, kindly share the link here) ;)

Thanks,
-Eric