Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

Thanks for providing this information!

I'll confess my primary worry/complaint about Modularity/AppStream in RHEL8 is one of lifecycle.

The default Stream in RHEL8 does not have the full 10 year lifecycle[1] present in RHEL7.  Folks doing a standard 'yum install ZZZZ' get the default stream, but may not be aware it isn't promised to be patched for the full RHEL8 lifecycle.

I like the ability to fetch new and different versions.  However, I find the ability to audit the module state on my system a bit lacking.  Which modules are installed?  When do they reach end of life?  Building that information on a RHEL8 box is more of a challenge than expected.

I'm hopeful that RHEL9's Modularity/AppStream plan will make this reporting easier and ideally provide a default stream I can use for the full lifecycle of the OS.

Pat

[1] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhel8-app-streams-life-cycle