Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 21:22 +0200, Markus Larsson wrote:

> On 26 June 2020 21:04:00 CEST, Michael Catanzaro <
> mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 8:45 pm, Markus Larsson
> > <qrsbrwn@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > I strongly agree. BTRFS has been 5 years from production ready
> > > for
> > > almost a decade now, please don't force this on users that
> > > doesn't
> > > know any better.
> >
> > This is hard to square with the fact that it's already being used
> > in
> > production on millions of systems. It's also hard to square with
> > the
> > data presented by Josef -- the only hard evidence I've seen on the
> > topic of filesystem reliability -- which shows btrfs is an order of
> > magnitude more reliable than xfs (although we don't know how it
> > compares to ext4). Surely if xfs is good enough for RHEL, and btrfs
> > is
> > at least 10x more reliable than xfs, that suggests btrfs should
> > probably be good enough for Fedora?
> >
> > Do you have any real evidence for your claim that would be more
> > convincing than what Josef has presented?
>
> Josef's server parks is a bit of a different use case than laptops as
> other people has already pointed out.
> If you want data on how it works in a desktop/laptop scenario talk to
> openSUSE users about how many times the "btrfs randomly ate my
> volume"-bug was "fixed".
>
> When I ran an environment of about 4500 SLES and about 5000 RHEL
> servers btrfs failed about 3 times as often as xfs (this from our own
> in-house statistics). That was 3 years ago but filesystems takes long
> to mature and I have been keeping ear near openSUSE to see where it
> goes.
> Is this as big as Josef's environment? No but it is first hand data
> to me (to you it is of course just anecdotal evidence)

Keep in mind that SLES does backport btrfs patches because they support
it. RHEL does not. And we are talking about Fedora here anyway.

> BTRFS has the potential to become great, I just think it isn't there
> yet and it'll take 5 years of smooth sailing to convince me.

Probably you should try it with Fedora's kernel?

- --
Igor Raits <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>