Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:23:17PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> But thats more or less the expectation of unix and unix like systems. For
> all the porcelain and chrome we've put around it, under the covers, its
> all still a bag of parts, and the expectation is (or should be) when using
> a bag of parts, you will have to learn how several of those parts work (be
> it vi or nano when using git, or substitue your tool of choice here). You
> start with a tool, you relize it relies on another tool, so you have to
> push it down the stack and figure out the new tool as part of the overall
> process.

So.... *my* expectation is that as a distro, part of the value we add is
to take those parts and provide them to users in a coherent way that
addresses their problems. We want to provide a "bag of parts" to people _in
the Fedora Project_, but we want to enable those groups to provide assembled
sets to their users.

> Would that be a possibility here? I've upgraded my fedora workstation so
> many times, I'm not sure what our firstboot screens look like anymore, but
> would it be worthwhile to present users with some text, or a guide wizard,
> to point out files like their ~/.bashrc file with some commented text that
> shows clearly what some useful environment variables are, and how they
> might set them to customize their experience? Its not very 'just press the
> button to do something you may or may not understand', but it targets new
> users as part of firstboot, and introduces them in a somewhat friendly way
> to how things look under the covers, so they can make adjustments as their
> needs dictate. Even if they don't do it immediately, they will have a
> reference to something they can recall if they find later that their
> choice of editor is not something they are comfortable with.

I don't think this is the experience most Fedora Workstation users are
looking for. But I'd totally support the creation of a "Learn Linux!" Fedora
spin with this kind of pedagogical self-teaching focus.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>