Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 13:03 +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 25/06/20 18:48 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > If you are unfortunate enough that the default editor is vi, what
> > happens next is you spend half an hour trying to figure out what the
> > *hell* is going on, followed by - depending how much you've learned
> > about Linux so far, and whether you're at a VT or a desktop terminal -
> > killing or closing the terminal from somewhere else, or just hard
> > rebooting the system. (I had literally exactly this experience myself,
> > back in the year 2000 or so.)
>
> Back in 2000 maybe, but these days I'm surprised it can take half an
> hour for somebody with **any** unix/linux experience to try Ctrl-C,
> and in normal mode that makes vim say:
>
> Type  :qa  and press <Enter> to exit Vim                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   0,0-1         All
>
> And if you've somehow got into insert mode and type Ctrl-C Ctrl-C it
> says:
>
> Type  :qa!  and press <Enter> to abandon all changes and exit Vim                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          1,0-1         All
>
> That's been there for years, so I think the "stuck in vim" meme is
> outdated.

That does sound like a slight improvement, but someone earlier in the
thread still said they have heard this 'meme' from multiple people.

Also, that teaches you how to quit, but it still doesn't teach you how
to actually do any editing or save the file...

> > Nothing in vi's default view even
> > *tells you that what you're looking at is a text editor called vi*.
>
> Yes, the fact you don't even know which editor you're in, so don't
> know how to search the web for clues, is the main reason I'm in favour
> of the change.
>
> Some actual numbers (from 2017), which are missing from this thread:
> https://stackoverflow.blog/2017/05/23/stack-overflow-helping-one-million-developers-exit-vim/
>
> "In the last year, How to exit the Vim editor has made up about .005%
> of question traffic: that is, one out of every 20,000 visits to Stack
> Overflow questions. That means during peak traffic hours on weekdays,
> there are about 80 people per hour that need help getting out of Vim."
>
> And that's Stack Overflow, a website **for developers**, and those
> numbers are for people who actually know they're in Vim and know what
> to search for!

Right, so, maybe still not just a meme? :) Thanks for finding that,
though, it's great info.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey