Re: Orphaned 215 packages

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:09 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Node.js SIG is very loosely organized. If you are a packager and
> write to the SIG to ask to be added to the FAS group
> gitnodejs-packaging, I'll go ahead and add you.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks. I'll send an email to the SIG mailing list.

> Zuzanna Svetlikova and I maintain the Node.js interpreter and NPM
> package tool in modular and non-modular Fedora releases. This is not
> going away. The packaging for these critical packages includes bundled
> NPM content from upstream rather than consuming packages in Fedora
> because the Node.js packaging ecosystem makes it realistically
> impossible to package every individual dependency into RPMs (NPM alone
> has 402 dependencies and it changes constantly).

Sure, to be clear I wasn't worried about the interpreter and npm
itself-- thanks for the work you do maintaining that! I'm primarily
worried about the npm module ecosystem.

> I've been meaning to bring up this topic on the Node.js SIG mailing
> list for a while: I think Fedora should largely get out of the game of
> delivering NPM modules and only concern itself with delivering tools
> that provide applications or support for other software in Fedora. So
> things like ycssmin and lessc would make sense to keep alive, but
> probably we would build them with their NPM dependencies bundled to
> match their upstream releases rather than waste time building dozens
> or hundreds of dependent packages in Fedora.
>
> I have some thoughts on how this could be made easier, but I'll open a
> different thread on that on nodejs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to discuss
> those.

This seems sad, but probably inevitable given the mess that is the npm
module ecosystem. My experience trying to package nodejs software has
been that the upstream version requirements on modules are usually
overly strict and can sometimes (but not always, of course) be
considerably softened or worked around-- but in order to package every
dependency we'd wind up needing to maintain hundreds if not thousands
of packages, and it is a lot of work to keep them updated. So I
suppose I'd be cautiously in favor, provided there was some kind of
automation to help write/maintain this part of the spec.

However... what should we do in the meantime to stop further nodejs
software from being orphaned and retired? I imagine it will take some
time to put together some tooling and/or guidelines for this, and
these packages are set to be retired imminently. Can we temporarily
allow the nodejs SIG fas group to become the POC of these packages to
stop their retirement?

I've gone ahead and taken mocha (running tests will be useful
regardless of whether or not we start bundling NPM modules). I haven't
yet figured out what I need to take to keep it + my other node
packages alive for now, but I'll work through that this evening if no
one suggests doing anything else.

Ben Rosser