Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 5:31 AM Dan Čermák
<dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> Around the idea and concept of modularity... what are the benefits to Fedora,
> >> Fedora developers, and Fedora contributors?  Through the various discussions
> >> on modularity, nothing solid in this regard has been presented.  If I am
> >> Fedora contributor now, what can modularity do for me?
> >>
> >> Most of the remainder of this thread talks about the problems with the
> >> implementation as it exists today and problems with other known options.
> >> Putting that aside for now, why should Fedora contributors care about
> >> modularity?
> >>
> >> Put another way, what does the developer experience look like for modularity?
> >
> > These are good questions, but I feel like there has been about 2+
> > years of discussion and debate about what Fedora could get out of
> > modularity.
>
> Well, a short tl;dr; would certainly help, as I must admit that even
> after 2+ years of discussion I see very little incentive to modularize
> any of my packages.
>
> I see benefits of modularity for CentOS/RHEL, but not so clearly for
> Fedora (except for more special cases like sway, where we have the
> quickly evolving wlroots library and can thus deliver an up to date sway
> even for older Fedora releases).

TL;DR benefits of modularity for Fedora:

* Automating build chains for producing artifacts
* Straightforward mechanism of producing non-rpm artifacts using our
existing tooling (modules -> flatpaks/containers/etc.)
* Path to provide alternative versions of stacks that don't natively
multiversion (Nodejs, Perl, PHP, etc.)