Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 10:18 PM Ty Young <youngty1997@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/18/20 8:24 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> >
> > Dude, chill out. We're not going to go back to running X as root. The
> > Nvidia overclocking tool is just not important at all (seriously, who
> > cares?). If you're upset their proprietary software doesn't work
> > anymore, you can ask them nicely to fix it please... or ask for the
> > source code, and see how far that gets you. ;)
>

> I'm well aware Fedora has no interest in correcting its breakage of
> backwards compatibility. If you'd actually read all the messages you'd
> realize it was all in the name of explaining why distros can't be
> trusted to package software and shouldn't do it, including Java
> applications. It went down this path naturally, as discussions tend to
> do and have on this very mailing list without my involvement.

For what it's worth, this is not a change unique to Fedora. Arch,
Debian, and other distributions run Xorg in a user session when GDM is
the display manager.  Some distributions may have elected to change
GDM's behavior to the legacy behavior, but none I'm aware of today
do so aside from Ubuntu (and that's only when the proprietary drivers are
installed). That said, if you are using a display manager that does
not support rootless Xorg, you'll get the legacy behavior.

However, the writing is on the wall for both Xorg as root and Xorg as
a whole. Fedora in this regard is a trailblazer and other
distributions *will* follow. Several distributions have finally
shipped GNOME with Wayland by default and removed their "hold-back"
patches that reverted GDM and GNOME to legacy behaviors by default.
Other desktop display managers are working on supporting running Xorg
in the user session as well, and will likely drop support for running
Xorg as root once they do. Your app will break everywhere, I can
guarantee it.

And to be quite honest, I'm tired of seeing you complain on this list
without being even singularly helpful at all. You have provided
virtually no constructive feedback and continue to attack the Fedora
Project and its members. I do not know why you are even here, given
that you seem to hate everything we do.