Re: New set of questions for FESCo candidates?

Le mercredi 13 mai 2020 à 15:17 -0400, Josh Boyer a écrit :
Hi,

> If the consensus from the Fedora community is that RHEL should shift
> development elsewhere, the Fedora Council can always reach out to me
> and I can start that internal conversation.  I do not believe for a
> second that's actually the consensus though.  Fedora and RHEL are
> symbiotic in so many ways that it is naive to believe Fedora is
> somehow self-contained and RHEL gets no value from it or has no
> impact on it.

The most downloaded part of Fedora is EPEL, and even Fedora packagers
that do not contribute to EPEL will often use it or got involved in the
project in the first place because of EL and EPEL. So, no question that
EL & server is important for Fedora (people should remember that when
they try to conflate Fedora with its desktop edition in Fedora
communications).

However, EL as a critical Fedora dimension, is something very different
from RHEL the product. Products have short term local deadlines and
market positionning tactics that conflict with wider (time or scope)
strategies.

Thus, while I personnaly welcome greater EL implication within Fedora,
it needs some organisational thought, to be able to handle gracefully
objective divergences. Because those divergences *will* eventually
happen, and inventing a process at crunch time when things are on fire
and everyone is too busy dealing with the fire to listen to others, is
no fun.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot