Re: New set of questions for FESCo candidates?

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 2:49 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, May 11, 2020 11:27:06 AM MST Ben Cotton wrote:
> > 3. How should we handle cases where Fedora's and Red Hat Enterprise
> > Linux's needs are at odds?
>
> I'm not sure this one makes any sense to include. The obvious answer is
> "Fedora takes precedence". This is about Fedora, after all, not RHEL. That
> might be a good question for Red Hat to think about internally, for the RH
> employees in FESCo, but that's it.

If the consensus from the Fedora community is that RHEL should shift
development elsewhere, the Fedora Council can always reach out to me
and I can start that internal conversation.  I do not believe for a
second that's actually the consensus though.  Fedora and RHEL are
symbiotic in so many ways that it is naive to believe Fedora is
somehow self-contained and RHEL gets no value from it or has no impact
on it.

I find it to be more productive to discuss collaboratively between
making Fedora a vibrant community with it's own direction and
usecases, and balancing the investment that the primary Fedora project
sponsor is making.  That's exactly what some of the other
conversations around ELN are highlighting and why we have difficult
conversations around these proposals.  Happily, most of the Fedora
community seems to understand this.  While the work to have such
conversations can be hard, it ultimately helps make things better for
both.

josh