Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 10:57:43PM -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> The only way to make sure that the stuff included with Fedora is open
> source is to build it from source - simply grabbing a binary provided
> by an upstream means upstream could slip in some closed source
> portions or have such a complex and undocumented build system that the
> project may as well be closed source because no one else can build it.

I've personally encountered Java stuff that, when compiled from its
sources, immediately crashed, whereas the "official binaries" worked.

Why not use the official binaries?  Because they had a showstopper bug
in my environment, and I was trying to devise a fix.

(Even absent that bug, the official binaries had extra "features" like
 proprietary instrumentation/etc libraries that I (and many others) consider
 unacceptable..)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)