Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On 5/12/20 5:39 AM, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:34 PM Ty Young <youngty1997@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Right, I figured it was some Fedora policy and not up to you. I suppose
I should have been more clear there. Sorry for any confusion, it was
aimed at the Fedora project as a whole as this is a Fedora issue.
I am aware that Arch is just packaging up the binary release artifacts
published by the gradle project.
But that's just never going to fly for fedora.

Well, guess I now know why no one wants to package software for Fedora.

Arch is also the only distro I looked at that does this, everybody
else (at least debian, ubuntu, OpenSUSE) is stuck at an ancient
version, if gradle is available at all.

Honestly? Good. Those LInux distros, including Fedora, need taken down a few pegs. 3rd party software developers cannot nor will they always bend a knee to extreme constraints that are not otherwise required to build on any other platform or run properly on supported platforms. Linux distros need to learn to play nice with other people.

FWIW, I can compile 6.4 just fine on Arch Linux using the Github source
code via:

./gradlew allZip
Now try doing that offline and without using the pre-built
gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar :)
You'll be surprised how much junk the build process still needs to download.

Not a shocker. Gradle breaks backwards compatibility all the time, forcing projects to always use the wrapper. If using pre-builts isn't allowed Gradle will never be buildable, at least not consistently.

Fabio

Felix