Re: sorting of git N-V-R tags in rpm package repositories

On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 20:50, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 06:46:48PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> ...snip...
> >
> > The latest tag for a source package name wins for the Koji-generatged
> > repository.  I don't know what happens if different source packages
> > build subpackages of the same name.
>
> koji operates on source packages, so as long as the source packages are
> differently nameed, both subpackages would be there. What happens next
> depends I think on what tool takes those packages and does things with
> them. If they weere exactly the same, mergerepos_c would likely error
> and the buildroot might be broken. Pungi might exit or might just pick
> one. :)

After some additional discussions git IRC, git mailing list,
rpm-ecosystem IRC, and also taking into account how Koji works and
what Florian was saying, I so far concluded that the sorting should
be:

1) topological as a primary criterion
2) NVR-based where the "topological" criterion is not enough (multiple
tags on the same commit, or when there are multiple "parallel" tags on
merged-in branches)

Doing just NVR rpm sort would work as well as long as people don't
accidentally push some tag which would sort above even all future
tags. Doing 1) as a primary criterion has an advantage that you can
recover from this situation on your own even without deleting the
remote tag (by pushing a new even empty commit and tagging it
correctly this time :)).

So doing 1+2 is more resilient against errors. libgit2-devel +
rpm-devel were suggested to me so I'll try that to implement the tag
sorter :).