Re: sorting of git N-V-R tags in rpm package repositories

> as part of https://hackmd.io/kIje9yXTRdWITwP7cFK2pA (annotated tags
> pushed by package maintainers) effort, I revisited the sorting
> algorithm that is used to determine the "latest" tag for a given
> package which is needed to determine correct package version.
> Basically, if the current commit is tagged, then the N-V-R information
> from that tag name is directly used to render version or release
> (depending on macro usage). If the latest tag is on some older commit,
> we still use information from it but the version (or release) string
> will contain some appendices like .git.4.abcdef12 to mark a commit
> offset from that latest tag. Note that only tags accessible from the
> current branch tip when traversing git history backward are considered
> to pick the latest one (i.e. tags on other separate branches are not
> considered).

Is this really necessary?  Koji goes by latest tagged build, it does not
sort by NVR when constructing the buildroot.  The same thing seems to
apply to composes (but I am less sure about that).

So I don't see why you would need any sort of NVR sorting.  Basically,
you can go back through the history and use the first tag you encounter
as the baseline.

However, I think this whole approach is a bit fishy.  Tags should be
pushed by Koji once a build completes, so that it is easy to identify
matching sources reliably, not by the packager.  Tags can also be added
retroactively and backdated.  These things conflict with the advantages
you list (in particular, with NVR auto-generation, git is not the sole
source of truth).

Thanks,
Florian