Re: Backports of fixes from F32 -> F31?

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:18 PM Alexander Ploumistos
<alex.ploumistos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 3:05 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Perhaps there are other reasons, like some third party software not
> > working on F32, for example.  I'm generally curious about how people
> > actually use our distributions and what prevents them from just
> > drinking from the firehose.
>
> Well, since you've asked…
>
> I am using our cloud images to spin VMs deployed in ~okeanos[0], with
> the caveat that VMs spun in the "Global" network are deleted every 6
> months. Also, it's not possible to upload custom images, they have to
> be created withing the system. I'm sure everyone appreciates how much
> fun there is to be had in configuring users, web servers, VPN servers,
> digital certificates, SELiniux policies, iptables rules etc. from
> scratch twice a year. They offer a tool[1] to make an image of a
> running system, which unfortunately is written in Python2. As far as I
> can tell, this ties together some technologies for which Fedora/Red
> Hat have been upstream (e.g. supermin) with some other homegrown
> tools[2]. I had warned them a couple of years ago that Python2 was
> going the way of the dodo, but judging from their git instances,
> scattered over several different services[3,4], there hasn't been an
> attempt to port it to Python3 - not somewhere public at least. This
> being an understaffed public organization, I'm not very optimistic.
>
> At some point after an upgrade to F31, I made a huge blunder and lost
> my backup F30 images. I tried porting their stack to Python3 myself,
> but I realized that it would take me an amount of time that I can't
> afford to spend on that, so I rebuilt all of our related packages that
> had dropped their python2 bindings and subpackages, namely
> python2-virtualenv and a bunch of libvirt and libguestfs stuff. While
> this was much less work, it certainly wasn't trivial and I couldn't
> get more recent versions of these packages to build in F32 and F33. By
> the way, I'm extremely grateful to all you people in the kernel team
> for bringing kernel 5.6 to F31 (mainly for wireguard). Anyway, as
> things stand right now, I don't think I'll be able to invest the time
> and do that whole dance in order to update my images again before F33
> or more likely F34. A sort of messy, middle-ground solution would be
> to keep around the F31 images indefinitely and upgrade them to newer
> versions, while taking backups.

Fascinating!  Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate it.

> Oh and if anyone can provide me with a low hassle alternative, I'm game.

I'm not sure I do without suggesting something that might not even fit
your usecase.  The problem you shared is indeed a challenge with that
environment combined with a fast moving distribution like Fedora.

josh