Re: Backports of fixes from F32 -> F31?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 3:05 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Perhaps there are other reasons, like some third party software not
> working on F32, for example.  I'm generally curious about how people
> actually use our distributions and what prevents them from just
> drinking from the firehose.

Well, since you've asked…

I am using our cloud images to spin VMs deployed in ~okeanos[0], with
the caveat that VMs spun in the "Global" network are deleted every 6
months. Also, it's not possible to upload custom images, they have to
be created withing the system. I'm sure everyone appreciates how much
fun there is to be had in configuring users, web servers, VPN servers,
digital certificates, SELiniux policies, iptables rules etc. from
scratch twice a year. They offer a tool[1] to make an image of a
running system, which unfortunately is written in Python2. As far as I
can tell, this ties together some technologies for which Fedora/Red
Hat have been upstream (e.g. supermin) with some other homegrown
tools[2]. I had warned them a couple of years ago that Python2 was
going the way of the dodo, but judging from their git instances,
scattered over several different services[3,4], there hasn't been an
attempt to port it to Python3 - not somewhere public at least. This
being an understaffed public organization, I'm not very optimistic.

At some point after an upgrade to F31, I made a huge blunder and lost
my backup F30 images. I tried porting their stack to Python3 myself,
but I realized that it would take me an amount of time that I can't
afford to spend on that, so I rebuilt all of our related packages that
had dropped their python2 bindings and subpackages, namely
python2-virtualenv and a bunch of libvirt and libguestfs stuff. While
this was much less work, it certainly wasn't trivial and I couldn't
get more recent versions of these packages to build in F32 and F33. By
the way, I'm extremely grateful to all you people in the kernel team
for bringing kernel 5.6 to F31 (mainly for wireguard). Anyway, as
things stand right now, I don't think I'll be able to invest the time
and do that whole dance in order to update my images again before F33
or more likely F34. A sort of messy, middle-ground solution would be
to keep around the F31 images indefinitely and upgrade them to newer
versions, while taking backups.

Oh and if anyone can provide me with a low hassle alternative, I'm game.

0. https://okeanos-global.grnet.gr/
1. https://www.synnefo.org/docs/snf-image-creator/latest/index.html
2. https://github.com/grnet/kamaki
3. https://code.grnet.gr/git/snf-image-creator