Re: RFC: Feature macros (aka USE flags)

Dne 27. 04. 20 v 19:00 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM Daniel Mach <dmach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm wondering if this is your personal initiative or if you're sync with
ELN people. I emailed them in January about the very same idea (and I
used the very same name; we both seem to like Gentoo), we exchanged
couple emails, but never got an answer if this is the way to go. Since I
have a lot of problems of my own (dnf, rpm, modularity), I did not want
to start this as my personal initiative.

Yes, Petr is in fact ELN people and he's working on this at least
partly within that context (though the benefits are not exclusive to
ELN).

We looked at your approach, but it seemed like you were advocating for
dealing with this somehow at the libdnf layer, which we didn't think
was the right place. If we misunderstood, that's on us.
Most likely. It had nothing to do with libdnf, it was a generic concept based on centralized macros defined in the build roots.

I'm really glad that someone's looking into this finally.
BTW, the new libdnf spec is using this approach already:
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libdnf/blob/dnf-5-devel/libdnf.spec

Well, not exactly. But it's similar. The main advantage here is that
we can define some things globally for all packages.a
Yes, that was exactly the point in my proposal.
Building for another use case would mean just setting build root macros and building the package differently, no spec change needed.

Since I'm part of RPM team too, I hope they won't mind if I'll speak for
them :) Don't you rather want to work with us on extending the existing
with/without macros? I'd prefer to improve the existing approach over
creating something brand new. We could also reuse existing rpmbuild
--with/--without arguments and ideally remain backwards compatible.

Could you explain a bit more what this means to you? I'm not sure what
you would want to do in RPM itself.
rpmbuild supports --with and --without options for setting the %with macros already. That allows you to make a local build with custom %with values. I suppose you'll need something similar for the new feature. From my perspective it would be better to re-use the existing options rather than introducing --use/--dont-use or something similar.