Re: RFC: Feature macros (aka USE flags)

Le lundi 27 avril 2020 à 19:12 +0200, Petr Šabata a écrit :

> Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve -- to have
> distribution-wide generic keywords that control default build options
> in packages

It can be done at the rpm layer and in fact there are already quite a
lot of such tunables in the distribution that packagers rely on every
day without realising it.

The basic integration pattern is:
1. you define a set of nice useful macros (in redhat-rpm-config or in
your own foo-rpm-macros project)
2. you make their behaviour dependant on the value of nicely named
variables
3. you ship default distro-wide values for those variables in a
separate macro file
4. you document the whole thing, get it reviewed, added to Fedora
guidelines by FPC, and added to the default buidroot
5. you spend ~1 year helping people use it (after that there are enough
examples in the distro to cut & paste, that packagers feel autonomous)

>From this point on you can control the default behaviour of all the
spec files that used you macros distro-wide by changing the default
value of your tunables. Downstreams can change the behaviour by
changing the default tunable values in their version of the central
macro package. Packagers can override the default in individual spec
files just by setting a variable in their spec file if the default does
not work for their project, etc.

It’s a huge amount of design and review work however. Once you play
with the default behaviour of just a few % of distribution packages,
you need to be extra careful.

--
Nicolas Mailhot