Re: What CPU extensions can we assume are available by arch?

On Wednesday, 22 April 2020 at 16:51, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 9:28 AM Artur Iwicki <suve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Regarding x86_64 and AVX2, last year we had a very heated discussion about
> > this on the mailing list.
> >

> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/MPFXH4Y5LDC5L2VXWKUHAX3WAKBQXR4U/#MPFXH4Y5LDC5L2VXWKUHAX3WAKBQXR4U
> >
> > tl;dr: there was a proposal to make "x86_64" in Fedora mean "must support
> > at least AVX2" and it met with a lot of backlash.
> >

> Now that you mention it that does tickle some brain cells...
>
> So it seems what's really needed is a method to support software with
> optimizations above the baseline without leaving other people behind.
>
> The only way I can think of to do that that would be to have optional
> "enhanced" repos available that people can enable if their system supports
> it. The hard part would be keeping it in sync with the main repo. It would
> have to be a parallel build process and similar to the current process if
> one fails the build is a NOGO across the board.
>
> Could we treat them like arches?
>  Something like:
> X86_64 & X86_64-AVX2

If upstream doesn't support runtime selection of SIMD-optimized code
paths based on CPU capabilities, you can build several versions and
have glibc handle that by putting each version in a special subdirectory
of /usr/lib64, e.g.:
/usr/lib64/haswell
/usr/lib64/haswell/avx512_1/

See
https://clearlinux.org/news-blogs/transparent-use-library-packages-optimized-intel-architecture
for some details.

> armv7hf & armv7fh-NEON

There already is armv7hnl (=ARMv7 with NEON) and RPM Fusion makes use of
it, for example. Fedora builders don't support this as far as I know.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Dominik
--