Re: What CPU extensions can we assume are available by arch?

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 9:28 AM Artur Iwicki <suve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Regarding x86_64 and AVX2, last year we had a very heated discussion about this on the mailing list.

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/MPFXH4Y5LDC5L2VXWKUHAX3WAKBQXR4U/#MPFXH4Y5LDC5L2VXWKUHAX3WAKBQXR4U

tl;dr: there was a proposal to make "x86_64" in Fedora mean "must support at least AVX2" and it met with a lot of backlash.

Now that you mention it that does tickle some brain cells...

So it seems what's really needed is a method to support software with optimizations above the baseline without leaving other people behind.

The only way I can think of to do that that would be to have optional "enhanced" repos available that people can enable if their system supports it. The hard part would be keeping it in sync with the main repo. It would have to be a parallel build process and similar to the current process if one fails the build is a NOGO across the board.

Could we treat them like arches?
 Something like:
X86_64 & X86_64-AVX2
armv7hf & armv7fh-NEON
etc...

It would absolutely have to be OPT IN because once you enable it your system is no longer necessarily portable to other hardware.

Thanks,
Richard