Re: Modularity Survey

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 01:30:57PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> That is another major concern, that decisions made by Fedora for Fedora
> users depend more and more on input from people (and companies) who are NOT
> Fedora users. What makes sense for RHEL and/or CentOS does not necessarily
> make sense for Fedora (and for that matter, what makes sense for RHEL also
> does not necessarily make sense for CentOS). Fedora decisions should depend
> ONLY on the input and needs of Fedora users.

Fedora has huge impact beyond our immediate userbase because we are the
upstream for RHEL, CentOS, and their further derivatives.

Take a look https://imgur.com/a/58OXYve. This is Fedora EPEL (which is part
of our project!), not the downstreams themselves, but shows just *one*
aspect of that impact. (It's so large that I see I need to figure out how to
tell matplotlib to not shift to e notation!)

I agree that when we make decisions in Fedora, we need to consider direct
users of the OS we make first. But we are also making a system we _want_ to
be useful as an upstream, and taking downstream needs into account is the
only way we can succeed at that.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>