Re: git-core deps under f32

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 3:49 AM clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne pá 10. dub 2020 4:12 uživatel Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> napsal:
>>
>> I wrote:
>> [...]
>> > I'll try to poke a bit in the next few days as I can make
>> > some time.  I had not noticed the inflated depchain.  Thank
>> > you for pointing it out.
>>
>> I was curious, so I looked at this tonight.  The git-core
>> requires are the same on f31 and f32:
>>
>> $ diff -qs \
>>   <(rpm -qp --requires git-core-2.25.2-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm 2>/dev/null) \
>>   <(rpm -qp --requires git-core-2.26.0-1.fc32.x86_64.rpm 2>/dev/null)
>> Files /dev/fd/63 and /dev/fd/62 are identical
>>
>> Checking each of those deps, openssh-clients grew a dep on
>> libfido2, which in turn requires u2f-hidraw-policy that is
>> provided by systemd.  That looks like the main chain which
>> leads to the additional packages installed in a mock chroot.
>>
>> In a fedora 32 container (and most "regular" installs),
>> systemd is already present, so the change should have very
>> little impact outside of mock or other targets which are
>> smaller than the default fedora 32 container image.

That might be true in fedora and fedora-minimal (???) but looking
forward we should really avoid this dep growth if we can.  The current
ubi8-minimal image doesn't include systemd and I'd like to keep it
that way.  There's really little reason to have systemd in a container
at all unless you're using it to run services that require systemd,
and most container usage doesn't.  However, git usage in a container
environment is very common.

>> I don't think that git-core should drop openssh-clients and
>> it seems pretty reasonable for openssh-clients to require
>> libfido2 to enable two factor authentication.
>>
>> Does that sound alright to you as well, clime?
>

> Todd, thanks for looking at it. It sounds that everything is alright from git-core's point of view, however the whole dep chain seems quite large.
>
> I would like to install git-core into mock chroot to have git shell client available to read git metadata of fedora package repository and preproprecess spec file based on it. (side note: I don't actually even need pulling/pushing/cloning but it is probably already impossible to have git without those.)
>
> Maybe u2f-hidraw-policy could be separated out from systemd? I probably should open a request there.

Would you please?

The Minimization Objective is probably interested in this as well, so
I've copied Adam.

josh