Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change Proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose V4

Dne 07. 04. 20 v 20:55 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 5:53 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I've just published a fourth version[1] of the ELN proposal. With a
> > lot of input from Miro Hrončok, I think I've finally been able to
> > clarify some of the points that we were getting hung up on.
>
> Up to this point, we've been a little vague on what "there will
> eventually be a way to maintain a fork of your package that will go
> into RHEL" actually means. I can finally make this clearer:
>
> - From now until RHEL 9 Alpha ships, work that is intended for
> inclusion in RHEL 9 should be contributed to Fedora Rawhide (later,
> F34 branch).

Then we are back to beginning. If the change is not acceptable for
Rawhide, then there is no place for it.

But honestly, what I really don't understand is that if you are going to
open PR against Rawhide (assuming that you are always going to use PRs,
because you can run CI above them), you have to have (fork and) branch
already. So why don't you formalize this at least?

E.g. "If there is ELN change proposed for Rawhide, then the PR is always
opened from (ELN fork and) ELN branch." And voila, we have the (fork
and) branch! We have a place where the changes can live, waiting for
being (not) accepted. If nothing else, the changes for ELN would be
discoverable, even though you would no used them anywhere unless merged
into Rawhide.

Vít