Re: v4l2loopback kernel module in Fedora?

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 at 03:53, Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The previous packaging was on COPR, but it appears abandoned, probably
> because it's kind of worthless if it's not signed. And, it's a lot of
> manual work to self-sign and register the key with mokutil, and even
> more effort to figure out how to get DKMS to automatically sign after
> building, on kernel updates.
>
> I don't know enough about RPMFusion packaging. I use RPMFusion, but
> haven't looked into the contribution process. In particular, I wonder
> if their modules are signed by a key that's already trusted in Fedora.
> My guess is not, and then it's the same problem as with COPR.

I don't know. But if you want to keep SecureBoot enabled, probably the
only way to go is to work with upstream to get the module into the
mainline kernel. If this module is as popular as it seems, it
shouldn't be hard to find more people interested and more hands to do
the necessary work.

> I'm probably going to abandon the effort anyway. obs-studio in Fedora
> crashes constantly every time I try to change the settings and save,

Let me guess... GNOME Wayland session? I got a bug report in a Qt
package I maintain with this kind of issue. It's fixed by setting
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb. Please, file a bug and tell obs' maintainer that
the best way to workaround the lack of Wayland compatibility is to add
that to obs' .desktop file as follows:

Exec=env QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb obs-studio

> so I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with v4l2loopback. I
> also couldn't figure out how to get Slack or Chrome (Hangouts) to even
> recognize the second v4l device. Only cheese saw the new video device
> at all, but it couldn't display it, for some unknown reason.

Sorry, I can't help you with that.

--
Iñaki Úcar