Re: v4l2loopback kernel module in Fedora?

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 4:45 PM Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 at 22:23, Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes, they are: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/what-can-be-packaged/#_no_external_kernel_modules
> > >

> > According to those guidelines, they can't be packaged outside the main
> > kernel package. But, they can still be included in the main kernel
> > packaging. So, I guess I'm trying to reach out to whoever's involved
> > in packaging that.
>
> You can try contacting the Kernel Team, but the upstream maintainer
> doesn't seem to be actively pushing for merging this into Linus' tree,
> so it's hard to make a case for it in its current status [1]. RPM
> Fusion and Copr are better targets for this.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelDriverPolicy

The previous packaging was on COPR, but it appears abandoned, probably
because it's kind of worthless if it's not signed. And, it's a lot of
manual work to self-sign and register the key with mokutil, and even
more effort to figure out how to get DKMS to automatically sign after
building, on kernel updates.

I don't know enough about RPMFusion packaging. I use RPMFusion, but
haven't looked into the contribution process. In particular, I wonder
if their modules are signed by a key that's already trusted in Fedora.
My guess is not, and then it's the same problem as with COPR.

I'm probably going to abandon the effort anyway. obs-studio in Fedora
crashes constantly every time I try to change the settings and save,
so I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with v4l2loopback. I
also couldn't figure out how to get Slack or Chrome (Hangouts) to even
recognize the second v4l device. Only cheese saw the new video device
at all, but it couldn't display it, for some unknown reason.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I've reached the end of what I can
figure out or champion on my own.